Re: [LUG] Skype

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 21:04, Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My brother uses Zoom for work, and I used it recently tp chat to an

Do bear in mind that Zoom has had a *lot* of coverage and criticism for being insecure. (Not just our Prime Minister displaying a meeting id)

I won't link it because if this is important to you (and I would argue it's important to everyone) then google Zoom and security/insecurity etc. BBC is covering a story just six hours old, with the boss apologising for its security weaknesses and promising to fix them. Great! Except he did the same thing last year and nothing got fixed.

It's not end to end encryption and they can intercept, view/pass on your meetings and calls to third parties.

No doubt you could make a case in that it doesn't matter when having a chat with your elderly relative, and that's probably true, but all who use it *should* bear it in mind that it is not secure when security is possible and expected, so is not to be trusted.

It's free and with generous limits. As always, what do they get out of it?

Ironically, Facebook messenger and Whatsapp are both E2E so more secure than Zoom.