Re: [LUG] Using SSH

On 29/02/2020 01:05, Simon Waters wrote:

> I have no idea why people reinvented it, or why KDE is
> still offering it. Possibly they had really complex multi-hop file transfers or
> long dead operating systems or both. If anyone knows the history of this
> please share.

It's the ghost of old design philosophies basically - KDE has kioslaves
for network transparency stuff and Gnome has gvfs. Neither are perfect
and there are years worth of fanboy holywars on the internet debating
the relative merits of kioslaves vs gvfs but as I understand it
kioslaves is now old and creaky and one of KDE's weakspots.

Fixing it is unfortunately difficult though as the last thing the KDE
want to to is go down Gnome's route which is often perceived as being
inextricably bound up in linux-only-isms like systemd, or to a lesser
extent, FUSE. KDE ideally runs on everything from Windows to Android to
BSD and a lot of their other custom stuff hooks into kioslaves for
functionality as well (err, I believe - I'm definitely not that up on
KDE) so they've painted themselves into a corner. This partly explains
why weird old crap like fish:// is hanging around in KDE when everyone
else has moved on to less clunky and considerably more modern solutions.
In defence of KDE, modernising and/or replacing kioslaves functionality
is a non-trivial problem especially when they've got one eye on
portability across platforms without running into the sort of issues the
BSDs etc have had bringing up recent Gnome with all it's nasty
linux-only dependencies.

Maybe a KDE afficionado can offer more - I humbly admit that KDE is the
one desktop environment I have never managed to make any sense of. To
this day I still can't understand it and I have used pretty much every
other option known to humans without any problems. Even Plan9 makes more
sense to me than KDE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also thanks for reminding me of three horrors from the old days! I too
remember the fun of bodging full X installs just to get oracledb
installed on headless UNIX servers. And fighting those swinstall depot
upgrades on HPUX. "Hummingbird Analyst" was one of my first jobs in
London, back when it was still BIQuery. Gah, the memories.