Re: [LUG] Old Laptop

On 31/01/2020 12:58, Neil wrote:
> At home I have a new desktop computer and two old laptops. My wife has
> one of thlemse laptops for her exclusive use. Mainly emails and browsing is
> about all she does. However, she does leave the computer switched on all
> day.
,>
> She tells me that sometimes recently she has had some problems when
> using the browser. The screen loses the picture, or it seems to stick.
> So far she has managed to get it going again.
>
> On checking my records I see that I bought that laptop back in June
> 2013, so it is getting a bit old. It does have a spinning HD, not an
> SSD. (Back then they were not so common.)
>
> So I am wondering, should I just get the HD replaced with an SSD, or
> would  it be more sensible to get a new laptop altogether? I suppose
> that nearly seven years is getting on a bit in computer terms.
>
> Any suggestions please?,
>
> Neil

That is a newish laptop computer in my terms.
(My main laptop is circa 2012, others older.)

Cheapest way to check if it is HDD, is to get a HDD and put in a
external USB case, and install (a duplicate) her Linux system on it.

If that starts ok and works ok, then it shows, the original HDD has
problems.
Alternatively try a Live Linux on a USB.
If the external distos work, then it would seem to be HDD or if
screen/graphics problems, they will display same screen problems.

I run my main OS (openSUSE) entirely from a 1TB external HDD in a
external USB HDD case. I have done this for many years to leave internal
laptop HDD as "Windows Only". Rarely used but updates OK.
Use is for teaching old folks on Windows.
--
regards
Eion MacDonald