Re: [LUG] Booting Ubuntu on older laptop

Thanks for the reply and not entirely unexpected! I look forward to more joyful encounters!

This is the very day God acted—
let’s celebrate and be festive!
Rich
07546 804439
https://gucu.org.uk
https://cregy.uk/
https://cregy.org/

On 8 Jan 2020 9:58 pm, mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 08/01/2020 20:59, Stephen Amor via list wrote:
> I have a similar issue with my T420 and Ubuntu (18.4) but it's
> intermittent on booting up and getting stuck on the splash screen with
> the 5 dots.  However, I just push the power button which forces a
> shutdown and after the 2nd power up it boots up fine.  I put it down to
> the SSD but perhaps it's not??
>
> On Wednesday, 8 January 2020, 09:48:18 GMT, Rich <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> HI
>
> Without seemingly any reason my Laptop (ThinkPad T420) on a reboot or
> fresh start doesn't start up. By that I mean it gets to the splash
> screen showing Ubuntu and the five dots underneath which keep stepping
> from 1 to 5 but never getting to the log in screen. In the past I have
> successfully restarted the laptop by repairing grub and broken packages
> and it has booted to the log in screen. Last night it happened again but
> this time previous fixes wouldn't work. I found a forum post that
> suggested disabling Wayland via:
> sudo mount -o remount,rw / # to remount the disk r/w
> sudo pico /etc/gdm3/custom.conf # edit this file
> Then remove the # on this WaylandEnable=false
>
> I restarted my laptop and all is fine. I post this just in case anybody
> else might find the problem affecting their older tech but also to see
> whether Wayland should be permanently stopped please? As this is a
> replacement for x does that mean I will need to upgrade hardware please?

I've got creaky old T42 and T43 models still banging around running
current versions of Linux and OpenBSD without any major issues ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's no point in blaming individual components or looking for simple
one-fix-for-all solutions. Software changes, libraries evolve, platforms
drop out of support and headaches are guaranteed.

Whatever you "fix" will later turn out to be not the problem at all or
will be silently corrected in the next upgrade without you noticing (and
you won't know to revert it).

Everyone's a sysadmin now; enjoy learning how to repair things and just
make peace with the fact that at any given moment at least half of your
computers won't work perfectly. Or maybe at all.

Good times comrades!