Re: [LUG] Video editing in 2020 ...

On 14/12/2019 18:04, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Anyone here do any video editing with Linux (of-course) ?
>
> Just got myself a GoPro and I used OpenShot in the past and am using it
> now, but it's as clunky as a clunky thing on my desktop - which is not a
> terribly brilliant specification PC by any standards, but it's faster
> than what I last used OpenShot on, yet OS seems much much slower and
> clunkier.
>
> Motherboard is currently an i3: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
> with 16GB of RAM and a reasonable SSD (Samsung EVO)
>
> I don't mind that it's currently running all 4 cores flat-out and will
> take 2 hours to "render" a 25 minute video, it's the interactive stuff
> that is annoying me. It clunks. Frame by frame at times. This is during
> interactive playback to check the transitions and titles are working.
>
> And this "rendering"? The source video is 1080p at 30fps, the output is
> also 1080p at 30fps, render speed is 6.8fps, so what.is.it.doing ???
>
> Oh, and to put that 25 minute video together with about 5 title screens
> combining 5 separate video files (GoPro splits videos into 4GB chunks)
> caused my PC to go into a bit of a melt-down and it ran out of RAM and
> crashed OpenShot at one point - I am running the latest OpenShot too.
>
> So other than buy a new PC (which I will do next year) anyone have any
> experience of any other video editors that might perform better at the
> interactive stage than OpenShot?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gordon

I don't do any of that type of video editing but have spent years
working heavily with cleaning/processing/encoding/muxing video on Linux
(anime fansub scene). My workflow is pretty exclusively shell based
interacting directly with x264/x265/avisynth/etc but we end up having
similar requirements - powerful multicore hardware, massive system
throughput, bleeding edge software and GPU acceleration. You didn't even
mention your GPU in your system specs - are you only using the Intel's
onboard HD2500?

There's no way around this, your hardware is perfectly fine... for
standard computer stuff. For video processing and editing the rules
change immediately - those specs are woeful. Give up and buy a new rig.

You might be able to stave off the inevitable upgrade for a while by
checking that OpenShot is using GPU acceleration to make things a bit
more tolerable but don't expect much from that iGPU. *Nothing* is going
to make video NLE acceptable with those specs and rendering with 4
threads on a 7 year old budget Intel i3 is not going to make you very happy.

KDEnlive and Shotcut are similar software packages you might like to
check out as alternatives to OpenShot but as I understand it (not very
well - I'm an encoder, not a video editor) OpenShot is usually
considered the pick of the bunch outside of commercial stuff.

Look on the bright side - if you're going to be doing a lot of video
post production in the future and already have your eye on a system
upgrade now is time to sell it your significant other as a mission
critical surely? Apple have just the thing for you!

https://www.apple.com/uk/mac-pro/