[LUG] HP Officejet 4655; scanner reinstall failure, although printer works fine.

Hi All,

As you know from my recent shenanigans with reinstalling Mint 19.2 I ended up with a full reinstall. The Law of Unintended Consequences has bit me in the bum again. As per the subject my HP AIO won't play ball. I installed HPLIP 3.19.1 and all seemed well as the printer installed OK, but then the trouble started. Neither Simple Scan nor XSane will see the scanner, and it appears 19.2 doenst like this version of Mint, so on advice of a forum online I downgraded to 3.16.1 but that doesn't work either.

julian@CERCE:~$ sudo hp-probe
[sudo] password for julian:
warning: hp-probe should not be run as root/superuser.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.11)
Printer Discovery Utility ver. 4.1

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

--------------------------------
| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
--------------------------------

  Num       Connection Description
Type
  --------  ---------- ----------------------------------------------------------
  0*        usb         Universal Serial Bus (USB)
  1         net         Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection or JetDirect)

Enter number 0...1 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 1

Using connection type: net

--------------------
| DEVICE DISCOVERY |
--------------------

Probing network for printers. Please wait, this will take approx. 10 seconds...

warning: No devices found on the 'net' bus. If this isn't the result you are expecting,
warning: check your network connections and make sure your internet
warning: firewall software is disabled.

Done.
julian@CERCE:~$

The above makes no sense as the printer - on WiFi - works so why is it claiming it cannot find any devices? [I haven't been thick as I am sometimes and it is on].

I know the IP the device is on so I ran 'hp-makeuri 192.168.1.4' Then I tried 'xsane "hpaio:/net/OfficeJet_4650_series?ip=192.168.1.4"' which works but refuses to stick and the options the forum claim should be used don't exist in Mint (It's an Ubuntu forum) or for that matter in XSane.

Advice welcome please.

Kind regards,

Julian