Re: [LUG] Simple backup

On 24/11/2019 22:30, Michael Everitt wrote:
> Whilst I'm always nervous about Free, the paid tiers[0] are cheaper than my
> Hetzner NextCloud[1] !!
>
> Cheers,
> Michael/veremitz.
> [0]https://owncube.com/free_next_en.php
> [1]https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-share
>
> On 24/11/19 22:05, Rich wrote:
>> Hi Neil
>>
>> I happily use a NextCloud server from Owncube. I find it very easy to use and the
>> data is mine and I do what I want with it. It syncs diaries, contacts and files
>> including photos. Owncube are a superb service with a great support team.

Heads up...

https://linuxsecurity.com/features/features/nextcry-ransomware-targets-nextcloud-linux-servers-and-remains-undetected

On 24/11/2019 16:15, Julian Hall wrote:
 > Have you looked at Timeshift? https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift
 >
 > The description says 'system restore' but I think you can back up any
 > partition anywhere you want.

Fair enough and nobody's going to stop you using it like that but the
actual developer states that it's for system snapshotting (like ZFS
snapshots) and _not_ for user backups right in your own link:

https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift#user-data-is-excluded-by-default

Speaking of ZFS I'd like to propose it as the answer to his original
question... except there's nothing simple about it so that's out.

It's very very hard to user-proof backup/restore especially when they're
not under your thumb (i.e., at work) so the best advice I can give you
is to automate it entirely and have it monitored so you know if it's not
working. Non-techie users *hate* backups with a vengeance until they
find themselves inevitably needing one :|