Re: [LUG] Simple backup

On 24/11/2019 15:58, Neil wrote:
I have now set up the new computer for my daughter. Seems fine. However, one of the problems that I had when the old one's keyboard died was to rescue her photos, videos etc. No backup, of course. I managed to save them all, but I have now told her that she must get more organised.

So I have been looking at lots of different programs for this. She has lots of photos and quite a few videos installed. I suppose I could get her an external HD and ask her to make sure to use it regularly. Or perhaps it would be better to set up an automatic system, such as pCloud, which I use for my own files. I am feeling a bit baffled at the moment. Too many choices.

If anyone has some ideas, suggestions please.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Have you looked at Timeshift? https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift

The description says 'system restore' but I think you can back up any partition anywhere you want. Scheduling looks pretty easy too; daily, weekly, monthly, how many copies to keep etc.

Kind regards,

Julian