Re: [LUG] Fwd: General Resolution: Init Systems and systemd

On 17/11/19 09:01, Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi

This appears to be a debian community discussion on which system the OS
should use / support from sysv(init) sysd and other similar service
control systems.

I know this is an issue people feel strongly about so here is a chance i
guess to get involved.

Hope this is helpful.

Paul

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: General Resolution: Init Systems and systemd
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 01:38:01 +0100
From: Debian Project Secretary - Kurt Roeckx <secretary@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: debian-devel-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A General Resolution has been started about Init Systems and
systemd. It currently has 3 available options. More information
can be found at:
https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002

Kurt Roeckx
Debian Project Secretary

I saw parts of the precursor to this motion on the mailing list, linked to me on IRC by another dev.
The particular mail I first read was this one[0] and encapsulates the issue/dilemma pretty well.

Having done a small amount of 'patching upstream' myself, in order to work outside of their (personal) development silo (read, diversity of environment, gcc, libc implementation, etc) I can appreciate that it's not an easy problem to work around, and somebody has to do the 'fixups'.

Debian is probably one of the last distributions to make a decision about this, (being generally behind the curve) so it's interesting to watch their approach, and decision-making processes.