Re: [LUG] Porting BT to VOIP

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019, stinga wrote:

G'day all,

Anyone done this and who would you recommend? (Gordon maybe along in a minute!)

While I'm here, yes, I'm going to suggest you don't do it.

Or ask why?

There is no internet on the line just a number and I want to connect it to asterisk. Think the line is on a DACS as well.

You'll still need an Internet connection of some sorts although the DACS isn't relevant to porting it.

You can get a VoIP service and present the outbound number (which is what I do - my home BT number is the same as it was 17 years ago when I moved in here, but outgoing calls go via an ITSP) so Incoming POTS goes into an ATA which has Ethernet <-> LAN <-> Pi+Asterisk <-> LAN where there are IP wired and DECT phones. (and it hairpins some numbers to our mobiles)

If you asked me to recommend anyone - No idea. I'm not sure if there are any hobby friendly ITSPs anymore although Sipgate: https://www.sipgate.co.uk/ is still going though and they can port-in a number. Looks like they're now fixed monthly fee PLUS PAYG for calls outside the plan. Read the small print.

I'm using a legacy product from a wholesale ITSP which costs me about the same, but I have a lot more flexibility with it.

Good luck...

Gordon