Re: [LUG] Diasporia

On 11/07/2019 09:06, Giles Coochey wrote:

On 11/07/2019 08:58, Tom via list wrote:
On 11/07/2019 08:40, Andy Wills wrote:
On 11 Jul 2019 7:51 am, Tom via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anyone who has used twitter should realise that (like FB which I use a lot) is totally useless for anything other than shouting into the void.
What a vivid phrase :-) Shouting into a void would of course be pointless because it contains literally nothing. Twitter, I think, is a means of trying to solve the opposite problem - reaching the few people in a crowded world who are interested in what you do.

Judging from the threads I've seen it would appear all it does is attract people to shout into your void. I've not seen a thread that hasn't been seriously derailed before the bottom of the first page.

The emergence of social media platforms over the last decade or so, remind me of AOL joining the Internet in 1993, prior to that newsgroup threads (NNTP) were filled with courteous academic discussions, it's been downhill all the way since then.

This is why something like diaspora appeals. It should give you complete control and if you can clone your setup so you can move it elsewhere should you want to it there should be few downsides. Need to play with it a bit to see what you can do though

Tom te tom te tom