Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi v4

On 24/06/2019 09:04, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Just in-case you've not heard:
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-4-on-sale-now-from-35/
>

>      A 1.5GHz quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A72 CPU (~3× performance)
>      1GB, 2GB, or 4GB of LPDDR4 SDRAM
>      Full-throughput Gigabit Ethernet
>      Dual-band 802.11ac wireless networking
>      Bluetooth 5.0
>      Two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports
>      Dual monitor support, at resolutions up to 4K
>      VideoCore VI graphics, supporting OpenGL ES 3.x
>      4Kp60 hardware decode of HEVC video
>      Complete compatibility with earlier Raspberry Pi products
>
> etc.
>
> The $35 price is for the 1GB version - more memory costs more...
>
> I've had a 4GB one for some time now and if all you want is a little
> desktop computer then this is almost all you'll need now.
>
> No - it's not a heavyh duty gaming nor media edititing platform, but for
> day to day desktop use - it's more or less there.
>
> Debian buster too, (32-bit) but no-doubt the 64-bit OSs will catch up
> very soon.

How is the network throughput on the gigabit controller now it's not
crippled through the USB2 bus?

Combined with 4Gb RAM per SBC these are going to be fantastic little
gadgets. I built a Kubernetes cluster out of all my old Pis recently and
it's so cool that I immediately decided to build another 'proper' one
with more powerful hosts - two days later, the Pi4 is announced. I'm
taking that as a sign to get my credit card out...

I'm also super interested in the upcoming RK3399-equipped Pinebook Pro:

https://www.pine64.org/pinebook-pro/

SBCs are finally coming into their own at last - I for one welcome our
new ARM cored overlords.

Cheers