Re: [LUG] Text Editor

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019, 14:24 Neil, <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have recently set up a new desk top computer, and I am having some fun
playing with it. I do need to use a text editor quite often, and I have
used gedit for some time now. Unfortunately it has changed quite a lot
recently and I am not very happy with the current way it looks and works.

So I am asking for some suggestions for a replacement please. I have
been look around the internet and, as usual, have finished up very confused.

Please though, do not suggest vi or vim. I have considered kate, but
that is really for KDE and I am using MX Linux which is based on Debian.
I have also looked at jedit, but that is much too involved for what I
want, just a simple text editor, with a spell check.

Regards,

Neil

If you liked the old gedit then you'd probably like "pluma". It's the text editor in the Mate desktop, which was forked from Gnome2, and pluma is therefore a fork of the old gedit.

It looks like MX Linux includes mate in their repositories, so you might be able to just install it.

As with installing a KDE app it will need to pull in some dependencies. I couldn't tell you how many.

Grant. :)