Re: [LUG] Kernel support dates?

On 16/05/19 13:13, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Slightly random query. I currently have kernel 4.15.0-50 installed as of
> a Mint update last night - that seems to be the latest Mint have released
> - supported until April 2023. However I have more recent kernels - not
> installed - which list /shorter/ support dates, e.g. 4.18.0-20 supported
> until August this year, and 5.0.0.15 supported until February next year.
>
> Have the newer ones not been tested by Mint so their support dates are
> generic? Would there be any hazard in installing, for instance, the 5.*
> kernel? I suppose answering my own question the answer is that Mint have
> not tested it so that's a hazard. Am I right?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

TL;DR check out https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html . LTS is
likely the most probably branch for most distros, but they will often
provide newer versions for testing, and those people who need new drivers
or fixes which may not be back-ported.

On from here, you will have to check your individual distro's kernel
maintenance policy, which should detail how they decide from what's
available, what they're comfortable supporting.

Regards,
Michael / veremitz.