Re: [LUG] Old calculators - (Last Sat. in Plymouth)

On 29/04/2019 11:16, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Found this photo:
>
> https://www.sliderulemuseum.com/Ephemera/Buzz_Aldrin_Apollo11_with_slide_rule.jpg
>

> It's Buzz Aldrin with a slide rule in the Apollo 11 command module in 1969.
>
> Who needs computers, eh? :-)
>
> Gordon

Slide rules were useful, as were 12 figure log tables for navigation.
I used a sun compass, a slide rule and Gen. (Field Marshal) Johannes
Erwin Eugen Rommel's concrete 'trig point' like structures and old
German maps to navigate in North Africa.
(Cyrenaica area clearing old minefields).
Rommel's idea of fixed concrete rig points allowing a know fixed point
when you got to it was an absolute godsend  to me and my troop.
German mine maps were good (they recorded accurate data), Italian mine
maps were ^^%%$, I had to assume 'no data' if Italian and find mines by
hand searching. %^$£! hard work.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald