[LUG] PCI Express Graphics Cards

Hi

Not sure if this is a Linux problem or a computer issue but hopefully you guys can help!

I have a intel i3-2100 Sandybridge desktop computer. I am connecting to a Dell 22" monitor, using vga. I bought an MSI Graphics Card GeForce GT 710 to connect to the monitor via a display port cable/HDMI. When I plugged it all in, I saw nothing on the monitor. Took the computer to a HDMi monitor, plugged it all and it worked. But, the settings were saying that I had a dual monitor system, even though it was plugged in via HDMI.

When I return to the Dell monitor, it still doesn't recognise the card, just shows a blank screen. I plugged the vga back in and I still get a blank screen. I removed the card and now the screen says Hi, I recognise you via vga.

My assumption is that I need to turn the on-board graphics off and tell it to only use the card graphics. Is that correct please? And do I do it via the BIOS please?

---
See you
Rich
07546 804439