Re: [LUG] Email Rubbish

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, Neil wrote:

Still getting stupid emails every day. The latest was apparently from someone called Treffle at one of my email accounts. It was telling me that that address was compromised. Although the account part was indeed one of mine, I had to laugh at the user name.

Treffle was the name of my daughter's horse, which sadly died last year. I think I can safely say that is the first time I have had an email from a horse.

You may have used that as a username or password on a site in recent years and that site failed to protect your data in any sort of adequate way.

This sort of scam email (some now coming from the "CIA" and wanting $10,000!) has been going on for a while using data collected from compromised sites. I'd suggest going to

  https://haveibeenpwned.com/

and entering in an email address, howeve the truth is that almost 100% of the sites we all used in the past years have now been compromised. LinkedIn was just the first big one to own up...

So make sure you now use a unique password (and username, if possible) for each and every site you use.

That is just a laugh. But, being serious, I am getting more and more junk emails recently, it seems. On average more that 200 a week. I am wondering if people on the list are finding this too, or is it just me? I do not automatically delete them in case there are any the should not be marked as junk, so I can sort that out.

200 a week... My email server sees that (and more) a day. Fortunately it manages to block about 95% of them, but it's an on-going war. I get a lot because I've had the same email address since 1995, and I often use it publicly, so it's well established and I don't particularly want to change it.

If you can't handle the spam, let someone else do it for you - google is free or pay someone.

Gordon