Re: [LUG] USB Sticks

On 29/12/2018 14:26, Neil wrote:
> Recently I have been having some problems with USB sticks. I can use
> them for a while then, for no apparent reason, when I insert the USB
> stick it is just not seen. This seems to be mainly with new sticks which
> I buy at the local computer shop.
>
> When I check them via gparted I see the message 'invalid partition
> table'. Yet I have not made any changes since the previous, successful,
> access. I cannot access them at all to reformat or anything else.
>
> I did wonder if they were too new, perhaps v3.1, but they should be
> backwards compatible, yes? Anyway, I have checked some older sticks,
> which have the same problem.
>
> And yes, I was going to blame the computer itself at first. But this is
> the case with both my desk top (running Linux Lite) and with my laptop
> (running MX Linux). So it is probably not the machines. And I should add
> that I also have an external hard drive which I plug into the same
> slots, and I have had no problems at all with that.
>
> Is there any way to rescue any of this please? Some of the newest sticks
> are quite expensive.
>
> Neil

I use many USB sticks, as  I use a USB Stick with openSUSE installed as
my main desktop (leaving the Windows internal hard drive untouched).
I also 'try' various distos as USB downloads.
I note I get 'invalid partition table'  when inadvertently, I try to
start or boot computer from a *storage USB* holding files/docs/pictures
etc. instead of booting from my 'bootable' [GRUB2 installed on USB key]
OS USB keys.

Swapping USB key to a bootable OS USB key solves this.
[Of course all storage USB keys are visible inside any OS USB system.
Leaving BOTH the  OS USB key and the storage USB key on a multi USB
dongle to one USB port on computer, always boots the OS one.

Is your GRUB2 causing the problem?

also:
 29/12/2018 14:26, Neil wrote:> Recently I have been having some
problems with USB sticks. I can use
> them for a while then, for no apparent reason, when I insert the USB
> stick it is just not seen. This seems to be mainly with new sticks which
> I buy at the local computer shop.

This is sometimes caused by the 'name' of USB stick being altered in
Windows. In Gparted it should show "D" or "G" or "H" or something.
Renaming solves this.

Regards
Eion MacDonald
--