Re: [LUG] OT : USB Robotic arm wanted

On 14/12/2018 08:15, Giles Coochey wrote:

On 13/12/2018 18:55, mr meowski wrote:
On 13/12/2018 16:42, Giles Coochey wrote:
They prevent screensavers/screen-locks from activating so that staff can
leave their laptops with IT Support staff and not having to leave their
password on a post-it note behind in case the laptop goes to sleep and
locks, requiring the password to unlock.
I'm still laughing about this - what is this mysterious place where the
IT team 'need' user provided passwords to access company property? Do IT
really not just use admin access to override/reset?

"Oh no the user has locked the administrator/root out of the computer!"

- said no IT guy ever

They were windows machines, the problems where this was used was where the problem was within the users profile, and could only be exhibited within the user profile i.e. if you logged in as a Domain Admin or another user, the problem didn't exhibit itself.

There are some environments I've worked in where 1st Line IT are not Domain Admins, they help with things like Archiving Email, etc...

Also, if you look at the page given: https://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/mouse_jiggler_mj-3/

Another intended use, is that as laptops tend to employ disk encryption this device is used to prevent a laptop going to sleep and activating the disk encryption, which would require a personal password to unlock (some disk encryption solutions provide a administrator master key, but not all do, and access is often limited sometimes with a 4-eyes principle so that no one person knows the full key).

It is also marketed with a larger product from the same manufacturer that allows a running computer to be transported from a location without turning it off. I assume this involves hot wiring the PSU to a second power supply and somehow transferring mains to a battery device. https://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/hotplug_field_kit_product/