[LUG] ubuntu 18.04/18.10 thumbnailer & profile avatar bug?

I'm having problems shaking loose a weird issue that I thought was just
my weird debootstrapped install missing a couple of standard packages or
something but seems to go a bit deeper than that. It's strangely
difficult to track down any obvious matches on google either thanks to
ambiguous search terms - at least ones that aren't ubuntuforums threads
which end by people 'fixing' their issues by just reinstalling.

On four separate ubuntu 18.04 and 18.10 systems I can't change the user
profile pictures of accounts, other than from the limited shortlist. The
select picture dialogue opens and works as usual but won't display
previews of any images including the specific folder containing the ones
I always use. The dialogue box won't let me select any image either,
_even_ the valid ones that it's using for the displayed shortlist of
icons in /usr/share/pixmaps/faces!

Surely related to that, none of the four systems I'm testing have
working nautilus thumbnails for any file types out of the box. The ones
I've installed Thunar on have thumbnails that are being automatically
generated by thunar's tumblerd and nautilus does correctly start picking
up on and displaying those thumbnails correctly (but still refuses to
generate any of it's own).

This can't be a coincidence surely, so is anyone else on bionic/cosmic
seeing this? I've checked permissions, apparmor, diffed installed
package lists for missing bits, googled and I'm still stumped.

Cheers