Re: [LUG] tumblerd

On 27/11/18 15:27, mr meowski wrote:
On 27/11/2018 13:12, Neil wrote:
I have come across some comments online about something called tumblerd.
I had never heard of it before. Apparently it can sometimes cause problems.

I have searched around, but still am not quite clear about it. If I turn
it off, either in session startup or by removing it altogether, will
that cause me any problems?

Bloody tumblerd... it's currently on my list of annoyances to fix as it
happens. It's the thumbnail generator subsystem of Thunar so as an XFCE
user it's what draws the pretty preview icons of all your files on your
machine(s). I predominantly use the Gnome DE but for 'reasons' usually
have Thunar installed and in use over Gnome's Nautilus. tumblerd fights
the Nautilus thumbnailer on my system for dominance and when it's not
segfaulting and/or refusing to update icon previews in my
/export/INCOMING dataset (both common occurrences and very annoying)
it's very latest trick is to change the style in which it renders
preview icons.

Before I had a nice screen full of properly rendered high quality
preview icons in the correct aspect ratio for all my encoder workflow -
even the demanding modern stuff like 10bit x265 HEVC files. I issued yet
another 'killall tumblerd' the other day because I noticed it had
stopped generating previews _again_ and when it restarted it re-drew all
my lovely preview icons into teletubby style ugly ones: in the wrong
aspect ratio and with a stupid stylised film strip effect overlaid
obscuring half of the detail.

ghost@failbot:~$ history | grep 'killall tumblerd' | wc -l
34

Screw you tumblerd!

Grumble grumble etc.

In my little test laptop I have removed tumblerd, using synaptic, and deleted all the files in ~/.thumbnails. Now that I have restarted it, it all looks just the same. So I am a bit puzzled about what it is supposed to do. Everything in Thunar seems to be the same as before. So far I seem to be fine without tumblerd.

Neil