Re: [LUG] NVidia

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 at 16:00, Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Looking at recent emails on the list, and some from the past, I get the
> impression that, on Linux, nVidia graphics are more trouble than they
> are worth. Am I right in thinking that the best way is to avoid nVidia
> altogether on Linux?
>
> Since I don't play computer games nor do clever things with photos, I
> just ignore nVidia altogether. Is that a sensible way to go?

I don't play games either, but I do want to use the graphics card's
GPU for number crunching (no, not crypto mining - machine learning).
Afaik - I'm still getting my feet wet with the ML packages - the
support for driving the NVidia GPUs as compute farms is better than
for the other chipsets. Hence my aim to conquer the mountain of
getting the proprietary drivers working with my 'buntu.

Ian