[LUG] Email and SSL

I have just added a new email account for myself. (This is one way to keep things separate instead of too many filters.) Anyway, when I had a look at the manual settings I noticed that it was recommended to use the secure settings. I use IMAP and the only difference I could see was the port numbers for the incoming servers. On most of my email accounts I have port 143 set up for incoming emails. Just one account uses port 993. I have never noticed this before.

Can anyone comment on this please? If is is better to use port 993 because it is more secure, and I change that setting, will it cause me any problems? The outgoing server is set to port 587, whereas the recommendation is to use 465. I am using the Thunderbird client and there is only one outgoing server for all accounts. At least, if there is a way to have different outgoing servers for each account I have not found it.

Or should I just not mess with it?

Neil