Re: [LUG] Using File Browser in Ubuntu

On 25/10/2018 13:16, Martin Gautier wrote:

> On 25/10/18 13:06, Richard Brown wrote:
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I was using file browser in Ubuntu when I came across a nifty tool. If
>> you want to rename multiple files, select the files you require, right
>> click and in the context menu you will see a link that says rename,
>> but when you click on that you get a very useful renaming box.
>>
>> That said, what I haven't found is the ability to show mounted drives
>> in the left hand shortcuts menu. Does anybody know how to do that please?
>>
>> --
>> See you
>> /Rich/
> I set mine up as favourites - does that help? (I'm on 18.04)

18.04 is in a bit of a bad place for this unfortunately - Ubuntu ship
patched versions of standard critical Gnome software (like Nautilus
particularly) that is used as the default by most installs, even if you
use a different DE.

Personally - even though I'm probably one of the last people left who
actually likes Gnome3 - I've been using Thunar from XFCE as my default
file manager forever, especially on Gnome. Just for a start it has sane
zooming levels, more functional controls and the left tree pane shows
all my mounted drives. Not that I particularly want it to or care, but
it's exactly what you want by the sounds of it.

sudo apt install thunar

Beware massive coming changes in the default behaviour of Ubuntu and its
derivatives with the release of 18.10/Cosmic - no desktop icons via
Nautilus!

Cheers