Re: [LUG] 20180924 Linux - Linus comment by Dedoimedo , worth while reading

On 25/09/18 08:28, Tom via list wrote:
> On 24/09/18 15:13, mr meowski wrote:
>> On 24/09/18 13:55, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>>> Is Linux kernel likely to go this way?
>> No.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> I believe Linus is just taking time out. I think he's getting some
> 'treatment' for his outbursts but I fear that will not really work as
> this is not an employer employee situation and  some contributors will
> be offended at their contributions being rejected politely.
>
> I look forward to Linus' return and some extreme damning with faint praise.
>
> Tom te tom te tom

I am not sure if Linus is partly Autistic,  but people with autism do
tend to want to do things in a certain way,  in fact isn't this trait
quite common within certain communities such as developers.   If you
were to ask, even on here which is better Emacs or vi(m) you would end
up with a huge argument.

Most non programmer observers would see that heated argument as rather
petty, childish or pathetic,  however equally football fans argue Man
United vs Liverpool in the same way which to programmers would be seen
as equally pathetic as an argument.

I am sure Eric S Raymond says in one of his books that Autism amongst
programmers is quite common.   That trait also allows them to focus on a
task for long periods.

So Linus expresses his view point and people take offense, if he agrees
with your input others take offense as they object to that particular
patch, fix or feature.

So what we end up with is people who are highly skilled, and passionate
about the cause,  but simply disagreeing and the argument gets blown out
of proportion and the media just like to make it sound far more heated
than it actually is,  taking quotes out of context in some cases.

Just a thought.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton