Re: [LUG] Any recommendations for a stand alone Scanner suitable for Linus use?

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018, Eion MacDonald via list wrote:

to DCLUG

copy;
Dear folks, 20180621
My ancient Epson Perfection P2400 Photo scanner I have used for last 12
year has ceased working. Originally used on Windows OS  (up to Win7) and
for last few years on Linux. It did not work on Windows 10.

I usually do 95% of A4 page scanning but had capability to do 35 mm
slides on it.

Have list members any current recommendations for scanners on Linux for:
A4 documents?
A4 documents and 35 mm film slides?

I understand the smart kids these days use apps. on their smartphone. I use the normal camera software on mine, but I know there are many good ones that can multi-scan pages, fix up the rotations, OCR, and make one big pdf, etc. out of them. (Wifey uses something like that on her iphone thing)

I have an HP photosmart printer than can scan and email the scans. (It cost about 60 quid about 8 years ago and has an Ethernet socket)

Slides? I have a Canon slid scanner (SCSI interface), which I though would be great to scan in all my old film negatives and slides - sadly the effort was just too great so I gave up and bought a digital camera. If you have a lot of slides to scan eithe get someone else to do it for you, or get one with an auto-feeder and use something like VueScan software to do the bulk scanning...

Gordon