Re: [LUG] cobol ?

On 03/06/18 20:55, John Horne wrote:
On Sun, 2018-06-03 at 19:17 +0100, Eion MacDonald via list wrote:
Cobol.

Interesting article.

40 years ago I might have known some but now?  No hope.

http://www.dw.com/en/fail-by-design-bankings-legacy-of-dark-code/a-43645522

Likewise. I learnt COBOL, amongst a few other languages, when at Uni. Not
touched it since then.

However, I seem to remember similar headlines around the Y2K problem and banks
not knowing if their old COBOL code could handle it or not. No idea how they
resolved that, but perhaps there are those out there who still remember and use
COBOL.
It's code.., I am confused.
First paragraph said:

"Many run mainframes on legacy code that's gone dark â no one understands it anymore. "

What is there not understand?
Maybe they should get some decent programmers .

--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga+dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\