Re: [LUG] Webring (OT: modem sounds)

On 29/05/18 23:29, Paul Sutton wrote:

On 29/05/18 23:24, Julian Hall wrote:
On 29/05/18 22:19, mr meowski wrote:
On 29/05/18 21:34, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
On Tue, May 29, 2018, 20:05 Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     Do we have to emulate v90 modems with audible handshake for 20
     seconds before anything works? You realize that was because no
     one read the manual to find the code to disable the sound...

     ATM0

I always advised people to leave the sounds on. After a while you're
become accustomed to the "normal" sounds you'd hear on dialling up,
and if their machine had been compromised with something that changed
the number they were dialling, they'd know something was up because
it would sound different.

Grant. :)

Even more [OT] but what seems like a very long time ago I was a phone
phreaker way before I got access to computers. That's a lost world now
in the era of digital exchanges and VOIP but if you want a window into
it this is one of my favourite websites of all time. Warning: many,
many hours can be effortlessly written off at the following link:

http://www.evan-doorbell.com/

Cheers

+++ATH0

So far OT you'd have trouble seeing it with the Hubble Telescope ;)

When I worked in ISP Tech Support very occasionally a customer would
annoy a tech, and in an unprofessional fit of irritation they would
*cough* advise *cough* them to change their modem init string. A few
times I had customers call who could not connect, and during diagnostics
I would find an init string of AT&F0FF or AT&FU2 etc. Of course I would
correct it quickly before the customer thought too long and worked it out.

Also OT. One friend said with scam callers he asks 'How did you get this
number? This is a secure line!' He fakes covering the handset and calls
'Dave trace this call!' Then he plays a recording of a dialup modem. The
call usually ends abruptly :)

Julian

If you don't have a dialup modem to hand,  just play a 8 bit game tape.:)

Paul

Good idea.. I have an MP3 of a modem handily on the desktop :)

Julian