Re: [LUG] Webring

On 29/05/18 17:00, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> Is that a slightly 20th century thing?
>
> I tend to be in favour.
>
> On Tue, 29 May 2018, 16:54 Nick, <dclug@xxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:dclug@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     My guess is that there are enough web sites among the DCGLUGgers to
>     form a web ring, i.e. more than two. Probably there would need to be
>     a hub site (hub.dcglug.org.uk <http://hub.dcglug.org.uk> perhaps)
>     and someone to be the
>     ringmaster.

"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A webring (or web ring) is a collection of websites linked together in a
circular structure, and usually organized around a specific theme, often
educational or social.[1] They were popular in the 1990s and early
2000s, particularly among amateur websites."

I can link to other websites, but who wants a page full of links,
usually I link in context to a post or page article for one or two
links.  However given people also use social media,  we could simply
sign up to a decentralized social media instance,  friendi.ca for
example and all link to each other,  we can then communicate via that.
Our profiles can contain links to our websites.

or we could also agree to use say disroot for sharing documents (again
this is free, privacy aware etc) Could be useful for exchanging
documents etc for the Coderdojo.

to be effective I think we sort of need to be consistent,  well
federated networks seem to integrate well with each other.

The dcglug frendi.ca account now has all meets up to July included in
the events section.

It just adds the same idea, but adds a bit if 2018 to the mix.

Paul