Re: [LUG] Problem in use of VirtualBox to demonstrate a server based software locally on my machine

On 15/05/2018 10:01, Eion MacDonald via list wrote:

I realise that as I do not have a 'yourdomain.com' name to allocate to this, as I only want it (the "Casebox" program on VB server) to be viewable or workable 'within' my machine.
May be "Host-only" is what I want.

I will experiment with CLI way.

What fun to learn (and keep learning)!
Thanks to everyone, I will follow up.

Ârealise what is wanted is perhaps

If, as you say, you only want it locally on the machine that is running Virtualbox then host-only is probably the way to go.

The hosts file entry (in /etc/hosts) is just a way to create a 'yourdomain.com' name that is also only local to your own system, so just put an entry with the IP first followed by the name you want to access casebox:

e.g.

/etc/hosts

192.168.56.x casebox casebox.mydomain.com

Where 192.168.56.x would be the IP that casebox reports when it has booted up.

my guess is (without having looked at the software) casebox settings page will have a way to manually set that IP to a static one, so it will never change from what you set it to.