Re: [LUG] Problem in use of VirtualBox to demonstrate a server based software locally on my machine

On 14/05/2018 12:18, Eion MacDonald via list wrote:

On 14/05/18 11:51, Martin Gautier wrote:
Using the Virtualbox Manager, open the VM's settings and navigate to the
Network Settings. What do you have there? I tend to set it to attach as
a "Bridged" adaptor. I then log into the the server and edit the network
settings to give it a static IP that matches my subnet - on Ubuntu it's
/etc/network/interfaces (I don't know what it would be for CentOS)

You should then be able to access the web interface for your software
using the IP address you set up. If you want to map this to a hostname,
edit the hosts file on your parent OS (not the VM).

I regret, I do not understand these instructions.
I do not understand the VirtualBox network settings about 'bridged' and
static IP. Is there an example on a website I can read?

  while I can see in the CentOS root account "/etc/hosts" in a text
editor, I really do not know what should be added, or what it looks like
after adding.
I also tried adding it to my Linux Box "etc/hosts" file in OpenSUSE but
to no avail, presumably this is due to the 'bridged adapter' thing?

If you shutdown, or power off the guest, then you can edit the network settings. The only setting you should have to change is from a "NAT" or "Host Only" to "Bridged" - it is one of the options in the drop down list. Just ensure that the adapter you choose to bridge it to is your wired adapter (e.g. eth0).

When you next bootup the Virtual Machine, it will effectively share the network connection with your wired on your host system. If your laptop automatically obtains its IP from that network then the Virtual machine will also get its IP in the same way. It is the equivalent as if you plugged your host into a switch ,and also plugged the virtual machine in to the same switch and uplinked it to the cable that your machine is actually plugged into.

Jumping straight into Virtualbox can be a bit daunting, so would recommend that you spend some time testing it at home before going out to the client site.