Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi, ARM and Cloudflare

On 02/05/18 22:35, Simon Waters wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 16:24:27 BST Martijn Grooten wrote:
Seeing as there are many people here who are really into Raspberry Pi's:
here the CEO of Cloudflare (a large web company) says they're switching
part of their infrastructure to ARM and are able to do so because a lot
of the (open source) software has been optimized for ART processors by
"Pi tinkerers":

  https://twitter.com/eastdakota/status/988811355762319360
They put out hard numbers a while back on this.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/arm-takes-wing/

I've also seen some discussion of optimization for ARM from CloudFlare which
left me with the impression that there is a LONG way to go before modern
compilers are extracting full value from fancy hardware features of most
modern CPUs purely in terms of recognizing code that maps to the CPUs fancier
features.

ARM themselves have been working on speeding up code (SIMD stuff mostly) with the https://developer.arm.com/technologies/compute-library getting speedups from double to 15x which aint bad. I'd also be interested to see how the Pi benefits thermally from this as I ran some AI code on my 8core intel jobie with the same SIMD speedups and it was a lot faster - and the CPU ran a lot cooler too!

They even stretch as far as AI  https://developer.arm.com/products/processors/machine-learning/arm-nn

For the raspberryPis the best route for a lot of stuff is the GPU and https://github.com/doe300/VC4C (see the readme.md) takes opengl to the GPU though  I have yet to find out if there are any thermal problems running the GPU flat out at 24GFLops for any time period.

As always it will take a little time for coders to learn to get the most out of it but I did some calculations on my old cigarette packet and I worked out that up to 400 piZeros is more cost effective for mining/ai than the equivalent cost in Nvidia fudging for host cpu/pizero power and networking.

Tom te tom te tom