Re: [LUG] sd card file size limit

On 30/04/18 21:21, mr meowski wrote:
On 30/04/18 19:51, Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi All

Just a quick question about digital camera, file systems and file sizes.

I have a 64MB SD card and a 16GB SD card,  If inserted in to my Digital
camera, which is then set to video mode (HD) i get a maximum of about 9
mins video regardless of which card I use.

I am assuming that this is due to the file size limit on a FAT32 file
system on the card.
Well no, that obviously does not follow: something else besides FAT32's
well understood 4Gb size limit is coming into play here if you think
about it.

There is no way your camera is recording ~9 minutes of HD video on to a
64Mb SD card.
By my calculations 9 minutes of full HD (1920 x 1080), 24 bit colour, 25 fps uncompressed would be 78.21Gb. Obviously it would be heavily compressed but I agree not a hope on a 64Mb card. 10.79 seconds at the same resolution.
With 64Mb of storage available depending on how you define "HD video"
you're going to get seconds, not minutes. I would guess that either your
camera is taking some diabolical liberties with what it considers "HD
quality" or your methodology is wrong. Does the camera also have
internal storage it uses as well?

Can you recheck and confirm your results because something here does not
add up and for once it's not FAT32's fault...

Cheers
Julian