Re: [LUG] sd card file size limit

On 30/04/18 19:51, Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi All

Just a quick question about digital camera, file systems and file sizes.

I have a 64MB SD card and a 16GB SD card,  If inserted in to my Digital
camera, which is then set to video mode (HD) i get a maximum of about 9
mins video regardless of which card I use.

I am assuming that this is due to the file size limit on a FAT32 file
system on the card.

So I can take more than 9 mins of video, it just needs to be in chunks
of 4gb which seems to be the max file size.

I am getting this from

"FAT32 took over from FAT16 and has a maximum drive size of 2TB. Its
maximum file size is 4GB, which is why you can't copy a 5GB file to
it. Its cluster size is 4KB up to a partition of 8GB. Above 8GB the
cluster size grows up to 32kb."

quoted from

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/what-is-the-maximum-file-size-fat-fat32-ntfs-file/1663db6b-490e-4021-9e36-f7a6976ac0c0

Thanks for any clarity

Paul

Check out the the technical details of the video. Â Many devices are limited in what they can do - it may be the video can only write 64MB files. Probably to make you buy the far more expensive 'professional' version of the camera which merely allows you to write bigger files.!!!

Tom te tom te tom