Re: [LUG] Portable routers

On 20/03/18 13:37, M. J. Everitt wrote:
On 20/03/18 13:35, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
On 20 Mar 2018 1:33 pm, "Neil" <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Recently I was at a meeting where there was no internet access available. Then someone turned up with a small router, which we could all use. It turned out to be a portable wifi router. I had never come across them before. I tested it out with my small Linux laptop and it worked just fine.

Anyone in the group know about these please? Any advice and/or comments?

Thanks,

Neil

Chances are it was a "MiFi" device - WiFi on one side of the connection and 3G/4G on the other.

Grant.

I have an early one which I have an "Orange" dongle for .. but now I just use WiFi hotspot on my phone.

Of course, Neil wouldn't know anything about that .. :P

MJE

He has been seen carrying a bakerlite with a mini switchboard!

But seriously I believe it was the guys 4g/wifi router from home. They are not cheap to run compared with broadband but at least you can get decent bandwidth - assuming you can get 4g that is! BT charge Â23 a month for 15Gbytes presumably plus VAT and installation. I can use that in a weekend on 2Mb BB!

Tom te tom te tom