[LUG] Buying Advice Suggestion

As people sometimes ask for purchasing advice on the list could I
tentatively propose not exactly a 'rule' but a 'guideline' perhaps?

Vagueness is one thing but if you're going to ask for any kind of advice
with buying stuff surely there is exactly one thing that really, really
shouldn't be left out: budget.

Without knowing the single most important factor in any purchasing
decision we're basically taking shots in the dark at a moving target!

"I want X, what should I get?" doesn't provide enough information to
even get started. "I want X and I have Y amount of $CASH" *is* a
meaningful question for example.

Please feel free to tell me if this is a stupid idea of course and I'm
more than happy to try and field buying advice type questions but my
heart sinks a little bit every time I see a post of the form:

"I want X. I know nothing about X or the current state of X. I vaguely
have an idea that there are variants of X but know nothing about them.
For $REASON I haven't bothered researching X. Money is 'limited' to Y
but I'm not telling you what Y is. What X should I buy?"

The answer to that is honestly Â\_(ã)_/Â people!

Cheers