[LUG] New desktop

Laptop looks like the hard drive is going. "Buffer input error on sda5".
Before that it was sda1.

Followed google but I was tired. It looks like all data backed up. I have
a few reports to write and I find windows on an emergency laptop very
difficult after debian. I will however take the time to learn how to use
it.

Any suggestions for sourcing for an office desktop (no monitor).

I tend to run a few files at same time (yesterday before the machine
started having wobblers I had open office, 4 pdfs, chrome and firefox.
Firefox with about 8 tabs open of which one was running some report
writing software). Was thinking of 8GB RAM, 500 GB harddrive but
thereafter I am a bit lost.

Local would be ideal: there is a power cut tomorrow morning so I could
spend the time getting the machine. It would take less time to install
debian than getting windows working.