Re: [LUG] Computer Monitor

On 17/03/18 11:02, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking to buy a computer monitor but I'm not sure how to go about
> choosing. I want to use it as a substitute TV screen (we don't have a
> tv and just play movies through our computer). But I'm unsure about
> refresh rates/display ratio etc. Is there a way to explain this
> please?
>
> Also on my current computer I do not have a graphics card. It is an i3
> processor on this motherboard.
> http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B250M-HDV/index.asp  It has 8gb of ram.
> I have it running nicely now - finally. But it won't handle video
> editing. So, I am trying to upgrade the machine, recognising that at
> some point the chip might be the stumbling block. I am looking at:
> 1. SSD
> 2. Graphics Card
> 3. Memory
>
> But do this as money is available. Is that the order you would do it
> in please? Or would you suggest something else, even as extreme as
> waiting and saving for a second system.
>
> Many thanks.

Do you have a TV licence? Do you use TV programs?
Your motherboard has connections and ability to use 3 screens.
Screen resolution is the key and ability of computer to recognise the
monitor screen resolution.
I use a monitor when teaching, but that is on a windows 10 computer.
It is old (circa 2010) basic 24 inch. I have not tried it on my OpenSUSE
computer also at the class.
But I have found old Dell monitors work with my Linux devices.

Regards
Eion MacDonald