Re: [LUG] New Raspberry Pi for Pi day

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018, psutton wrote:

Good news on the Pi3+ a few minor improvements, that is all that is
needed, the pi adapts to how it is being used, hence the Pi zero zero
is great for embedded,ÂÂ i would guess there improvements to wifi will
be added in to the zero W and HW at some point (if feasable).

For "proper" embeded use the Compute Module ought to be the thing of choice, however the Zero is much cheaper (and note that there is now a Zero "H" variant with pre-soldered header pins)

Gigabit ethernet speed will help when being used for media boxes too I
would guess.

That's debatable - there is only one USB interface on the Pi and running that at higher speeds for the Ethernet (it's still usb-2, so 420Mb/sec absolute max) may well be detrimental to serving stuff off a USB filesystem - who knows - I'm not into that thing, but I'm sure we'll see reports from others to try it out.

I've had one for a few days, but other than make sure wiringPi works OK on it, I've not had a chance to really give it a go:

http://wiringpi.com/wiringpi-updated-for-the-pi-v3plus/

Gordon