Re: [LUG] Spectre was Re: Email service

On Friday, 9 March 2018 14:52:10 GMT Nick wrote:
> On 2018-03-09 06:10 GMT, Simon Waters wrote:
> > Realistically you are more likely to mess up running your own server than
> > be attacked by bugs like Spectre. Maybe a rookie mistake like running
> > Exim as a mail server ;)
>
> Postfix here, though not through any prescience - its configuration is
> slightly less difficult to understand than Exim for me.  Thanks for
> the interesting comments.

I'd say Exim is easier to reconfigure, especially if you are adding some weird
routing behaviour. Certainly when I was persuaded to reconfigure Exim server
for someone I was able to pick it up much faster than learning Postfix.

That said Postfix is easy enough, and has a lot of thought given to security in
the design of processes and services, where as Exim is still going for the
monolithic server process model that risks everything on a single programming
flaw.

Also Postfix always seems to do the right thing in terms of error messages,
even when I've already messed up big time in the configuration file, and
forgotten to use soft bounce feature. Not sure how that magic happens, I can
only assume attention to detail, and a lot of thinking about what the safest
way to fail is.