Re: [LUG] Kernel

On 18/02/18 11:04, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have just checked my kernel and it is 4.13.0-32-generic
>
> Is it possible to find out whether I need to upgrade please? I am
> aware of the spectre and meltdown issues and wondered how I might find
> out:
> 1. If I should upgrade
> 2. How I do this manually
>
> https://www.kernel.org/
>
> I visited the above and I can see the latest stable kernel is 4.15.4.
> Should I upgrade to this please?

If anyone wants to check their (linux) system specifically for the
current state of spectre+meltdown mitigation on a given machine then
have a look here:

https://github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker

Really simple instructions are as follows:

cd [to some directory where you want to keep this]

wget meltdown.ovh -O spectre-meltdown-checker.sh
cat spectre-meltdown-checker.sh
chmod +x spectre-meltdown-checker.sh
sudo ./spectre-meltdown-checker.sh

The tool will tell you how your system is currently shaping up.

Handy similar GUI tool for windows:

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

It might be worth pointing out the mitigations are multi-level and not
just kernel-dependent - parts of user space programs, the kernel, system
firmware and your compiler all need patching and some (many) systems
will never get all of those individual bits.

Cheers