Re: [LUG] PDA

Hi Richard,

Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [... snip ...]

> The new project has a purpose in that I will be working with some
> young people. The project is looking at the fore runner to a phone -
> a pda! We want to build one using an sbc - Raspberry Pi or maybe
> something else and would like some advice on software. Would you use
> Android or the full desktop of Linux. Do you know of anyone who has
> developed an interface that would be a pda style please? In terms of
> the sbc - raspberry pi or would go something else please odroid etc.

I wouldn't say Android would be ideal, honestly - but given its used
for tablets, it might be -- it really depends on the *typical* use
case for the PDA.

Bit of an anecdote here, but I remember having a bit of a fascination
as a kid growing up with the Windows CE PDAs. I found them
fascinating. I don't /think/ that Windows CE is around anymore, but
even if it was, I'm not about to recommend it! ;-)

Back to the subject of the interface, I'd use a GNU+Linux distribution
on the PDA -- how about adapting a UI from Ubuntu Touch? I know its no
longer supported by Canonical, but UBports[0] have taken up support
and maintainership of it, so I'd take a look there. Not sure if the
community is ``active'' per se, but its worth a try, no?

I doubt that anyone has made a decent PDA UI though -- but hey, you
never know... although I'd really just make my own; which would also
work as a fairly good learning experience as well. If you *do* make
your own, it'd be great to see the internals behind it!

> Or would you simply not start!
>

> Thanks
> --
> Kind Regards