Re: [LUG] Linux on a USB

On 22/01/18 12:24, Neil wrote:
> In my recent thread about Linux training several people said that having
> a copy of a Linux distro on a USB for demo purposes was a good idea. I
> have been wondering about that for some time, and now I am looking into
> the idea more thoroughly.
>
> As usual, the problem is which package to use for this. Someone
> mentioned to me recently that unetbootin can create a live version of
> Linux on a USB stick. I have used that package many times, and I can't
> find anything about that. Also, I have read that there are better and
> safer packages for this than unetbootin.
>
> Another program I have come across recently is etcher. As usual this has
> both good and bad reviews. I have downloaded it, but not tried it yet.
>
> Then, in the training thread, some people mentioned a program called
> e2b. This appears to stand for easy to boot. I have looked it up on
> line, and it seems to be a bit complicated.
>
> I would like to set up a USB stick with a live version of Linux on it.
> But I would also like it to keep any changes made, so that each time I
> used it, the distro would be up to date.
>
> If anyone can point me in the right direction I will have a go.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

For Knoppix, you can create the USB from the live version downloaded to
a DVD. I.e. Download  ISO file, burn to DVD, insert and boot DVD, from
Knoppix menu or  from desktop,  create USB with or without persistence
and with or without encryption to '/home'. I use Knoppix first on folk's
computers as it is both 32 bit and 64 bit. For EFI read Knoppix notes.

This is a  Live Linux, then if they are used to LibreOffice, Firefox,
Thunderbird etc. provide a USB  with GRUB to their machine so from USB
they can load Linux distro or Windows.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald