[LUG] OT: WiFi Repeater - same SSID or not?

Hi All,

I've just set up an ASUS WiFi Repeater but as a result I now have two SSIDs in the house, OLYMPUS and OLYMPUS_RPT. I've read conflicting advice on whether they should be the same or not. The key issues are my mobile phone and tablet, laptop running Mint 18.3, and visitors.

In the first case both are Android devices, 4.x, but do not have the Advanced WiFi setting to avoid poor networks which apparently can be used to make them swap if the signal strength drops below a set threshold. To fix that I had to install WiFi Manager which does allow that feature.

In the second case, will Mint swap between different networks or need to be told to manually?

Finally it would mean every visitor who already has permission to access the network would need to add the repeater network to all their devices, which entails re-entering a very long password again which was a pain the first time around.

All these issues would be solved if I just had one SSID. Can I change the repeater's SSID to OLYMPUS, and will it seamlessly swap to the stronger one if I do?

Kind regards,

Julian