Re: [LUG] spectre/meltdown ubuntu 17.04 left out

On 17/01/18 19:50, Tom via list wrote:
> Is seems (*)ubuntu will not be getting fixes so you'll need to upgrade
> these machines to the safe versions (I've only got 4 to do!)
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/KnowledgeBase/SpectreAndMeltdown
>
> Tom te tom te tom

Pardon me but this doesn't make sense.

Ubuntu is rolling fixes for all *supported* releases:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Ubuntu 17.04 is *not* a supported release as it reached end of life 4
days ago on Jan 14th 2018:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2018-January/000227.html

All Ubuntu lifecycles including end of life dates are at the first link.

If in doubt run "ubuntu-support-status" in a shell on Ubuntu systems for
machine-specific information.

Mint have their own list of in-support versions here:

https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php

Debian here:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

All other sane distributions have their own easily findable
release+support lifecycles.

As a sysadmin I obviously have no reasonable excuse for not keeping up
to date on this sort of thing although I appreciate "normal users" may
have better things to do than memorize distribution lifecycles. The dead
giveaway however is when your package manager stops delivering updates
and starts issuing dire warnings...

Spectre/Meltdown mitigation is a different thing of course - unless
you're also a sysadmin I'd recommend don't bother going out of your way.
Trust your operating system provider to furnish you with appropriate
fixes shortly if not already. We're all on our own when it comes to
motherboard BIOS/UEFI patching though which is an entirely different set
of headaches (most of us are never going to get them).

Cheers