Re: [LUG] OT: Fwd: Latest windows security update is bricking AMD-based PCs

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 16:42:47 +0000
mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This specific issue is only affecting a narrow band of users with
> specific Athlon or Sempron branded CPUs, not just all AMD units. A
> rather critical omission. It can also be trivially fixed with a
> rollback.

There's an update (10/jan) about M$ withdrawing this patch.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/microsofts-spectre-fix-bricks-pcs-with-older-amd-cpus-480700

I do not have any windows machines, but it came to my attention while
googling  because upgrading the 4.14.12 kernel to the .13 caused a seg
fault on my X2.  I came across an (unrelated) item that looked
Meltdown-ish ("[The segfault may be] simply access to user memory that
is not mapped to physical memory.") so I'm going to play safe and
assume that the problem still affects some AMD chips and upgrade to
the .13 on intel machines only, and leave the others until I hear that
it's gone alpha on AMD machines.
My question to those of you who are on top of these things: what's the
latest on this?  Any news from the coalface?
Many Thanks
fraser