Re: [LUG] Monitors

On 06/01/18 19:25, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> I am finally fed up with my 16" laptop screen and was going to get either a
> 24" or preferably a 27" HDMI.
>
> Running Debian Testing
>
> (Most of my time is spent either writing reports / reading on the net /
> reading pdfs: no games etc)
>
> In case it helps I have an HDMI port and a VGA port and from
> pkg-xorg.alioth.debian.org/howto/use-xrandr.html it appears that I should
> be able to run two monitors.
>
> Question
>
> 1.  In reading it appears that a 4K monitor is ideal: if my graphics card
>     supports it.
>
>     How can I find out what sort of monitor my graphics card can support?
>
>     From cost point of view it appears IPS is fine
>
> 2.  Can I run two monitors at the same time?

You kind of forgot the single most important thing, which is the exact
make/model of laptop. Although it's clear your laptop has a 3rd gen
Ivybridge CPU with integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 the output of:

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name' | uniq

Would be more useful to determine the exact specs of your system.

In short, you *should* be able to run two external monitors *as well as*
the normal laptop screen simultaneously, albeit with certain
restrictions in supported resolutions and refresh rates. Do yourself a
favour and forget that VGA port even exists though - you don't want that
for anything when you have a perfectly good HDMI port available.

If you can stretch to a decent 4K monitor then definitely go for it,
pending the research on exactly what your HD4000 can handle. IPS is
infinitely preferable to crappy TN panels unless you're literally made
out of money, in which case you want OLED. The main potential problem is
if it can handle 4k @ at least 60Hz - even for the passive 2D work like
you mention is your explicit use case, 30Hz will quickly ruin your eyes
during page scrolling.

So, exact make/model and cpuinfo please. As ever, details matter. A
*lot*! You won't regret embracing 4k by the way, it's revelatory. Every
time I'm reduced to using a bog standard 1080p monitor (I'm
unfortunately staring at one right now) I wish the damn thing would just
die so I could justify replacing it...

Cheers