Re: [LUG] Mozilla apparently making odd choices

On 17 December 2017 at 16:15, mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> https://drewdevault.com/2017/12/16/Firefox-is-on-a-slippery-slope.html

I wonder if that guy read back his own tirade and thought "wow, I really
sound like a whining self-entitled blow hard..." Presumably not.

No, don't be silly! But it got attention and triggered a response from Mozilla;Âhttps://gizmodo.com/mozilla-slipped-a-mr-robot-promo-plugin-into-firefox-1821332254

It's entirely possible this has prevented (or delayed) thin-edge-of-the-wedgeism, but Mozilla have been making odd choices with FF for a very long time. (And to be fair, it's still here and relevant)

And he wants someone actually fired over it? As in, he literally wants
someone to lose their livelihood over his little storm in a teacup? All
because he was too dumb to uncheck a single obvious setting in his
preferences?

He's added an update since I linked it, which does defuse it a fair bit

But having said that; I wouldn't be overly keen on a browser silently adding a plugin to advertise a tv program (which is not legally available here without paying for it) or inserting content into pages. (Not that keen on ISPs or anyone else doing that either, witness Comcast adding upgrade adverts to its own customers in pages they visit, also in the news this week)Â ( https://gizmodo.com/comcast-appears-to-be-injecting-browser-pop-ups-to-upse-1752633484 )

I worry about the internet these days. Why is everyone so angry about
everything?

I know what you mean, but there is a lot to be angry and threatened about. Geeks feel that more than most, I think, since we secretly think we own the internet and normal people shouldn't be allowed on it, much less try to make money from it.Â

Plus, it's not easy to get noticed any more (if that's what you want), so you have to do something either massively brilliant, incite rantism (remembering that hardly anyone reads content beyond the first para) or just be averagely stupid. At least this guy didn't stick a microwave on his head and get his mates to pour pollyfilla in.