Re: [LUG] 20171215 Help please. Windows / OpenSUSE computer problem

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 20:20:53 +0000
Eion MacDonald <eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To DC LUG,
> 20171215 at 20.20 GMT
> attention: List DC LUG <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> copy: Eion MacDonald  <eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> using address: List DC LUG <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Dear folk,
> 20171215 Help please. Windows / OpenSUSE computer problem.
>
> Slightly off topic even though about my OpenSUSE machine.
>
> Set Up: Windows 10 pro computer (via Hard Disc) was Windows 7.
>         OpenSUSE42.3 via external hard disc (USB connection
>          GRUB 2 on USB )
>
> Normally I use this for OpenSUSE for all activities these days, but it
> is  used on Windows 10  machine as an external hard disc.
> When I was still working about 18 months ago with a client who only
> used MS products I used mainly Windows for work purposes.
>
> Every so often I update Windows 10 , but it did not update in Oct or
> November 2017. I left for later after investigation.
>
> Due to teaching since September at a U3A computer class, where most
> use Windows I have taken machine to that class (log on by wifi) .
>
> Researching problem, when I found I could not use control panel to
> rename a USB stick, I got a 'you are not authorized to do this' notice
> prevented by Windows Group Policy, I discovered another user "Super
> Administrator" was in system but invisible.
>
> *How To correct this is the question.*
>
> I Have only one very old program on Windows OS side that I would like
> to use until 2018 August when it will be redundant as I will close my
> wee company down in July 2018. It was set up on this old (2013)
> Windows 7 machine with my company accounts.  I have full spread sheet
> copies and QB backups.
> I would like to re-instate "QuickBooks 10". I have discs  but they
> need authentication by QB and they are somewhat uncooperative.
> I know from a long time ago, the key to a reinstall is copying over a
> Registry file. I will have to find out that separately. Anyone know
> where that is held in registry?
>
> My image back ups ( Sept 2017, Oct 2017, Nov2 2017 are probably
> contaminated , so I would have to go back to a June 2017 if
> re-imaging.
>
> This is first possibility. (It would preserve QuickBooks 10)
>
> Second possibility:
> I assume a FRESH INSTALL of Windows 10 Pro from a USB KEY created
> under Windows Media will be way to go.
>
> a) Can you confirm this is correct way?
> I have created two USB media keys
>  one)  based on this machine
>  two) based on any machine Windows 10, UK, x64 bit.
>
> Would 'one' carry the contamination across?
> If 'one' works, (assuming June 2017 image restore is contaminated) it
> might be be best bet. (It would have computer data know to MS).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.

Hi Eion,

I wouldn't be in a hurry to label it a contamination: it is
unlikely that a malignant intruder would draw attention to their
presence with such an eye-catching title.  I understand from the forums,
but not from direct experience, that Windows 10 machines are
'force-fed' updates by overriding any local administrator settings.  It
would be reasonable to assume that the Super Administrator is the
vehicle for this.  Accordingly, it may be prudent to leave this user
free to do its job.

You could satisfy yourself that it is not malignant by booting
into your Suse installation and clamscanning the entire machine.
Before you do so, I would suggest that you:
a) print hard copy of your accounts to date so you can offer them to
HMRC as 'supporting evidence' if any of the spreadsheet files are lost;
and
b) export each spreadsheet as a comma- or tab-separated file to an
external device for import into any subsequent spreadsheet on a linux
platform should you lose your QuickBooks installation.

HTH
fraser