Re: [LUG] broken Packages

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 05:07:56PM +0100, Neil wrote:
> In one of my computers I have messed up libreoffice. In synaptic I keep
> getting messages about broken packages, and am told to fix them. When I try
> I get an error message.

> E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused
> by held packages.
> E: Unable to correct dependencies
> E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused
> by held packages.
> E: Unable to correct dependencies
>
> I am not sure what this means. Is there any way to clear this and reinstall
> libreoffice? Or what should I do? The computer seems to be fine with
> everything else.

'Holding' packages is a way of stopping upgrades happening (for example if the
upgraded version introduces a bug that is a problem for you). I think there's a
context menu option in Synaptic to hold packages... I can't quite remember where
though. It could be that you've accidentally held a common dependency and this
is warning you that it can't upgrade the application without that dependency
being upgraded.

Does this command output anything at all:

    dpkg --get-selections | grep hold

> Thanks,
>
> Neil
>
> Neil